Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Gorik> When one opens a LyX file that contains an unkown style (e.g.
> Gorik> by changing the documenttype from article to book and reverse),
> Gorik> then the unknown style tags are DELETED. If I adapt a LyX file
> Gorik> on a computer that has a different layout files, and then go
> Gorik> home, I have to reformat the whole document.
>
> Gorik> Couldn't it be possible (as is done in html browsers ) to just
> Gorik> ignore unknown layout tags without deleting them ? Or to make a
> Gorik> "unknown" style ?
>
> This is a bit difficult due to the way files are read into LyX. Why
> don't you just take your book.layout at work too (with a different
> name, preferably)? All you have to do is to copy it to ~/.lyx/layouts/
> and run Options->Reconfigure.
>
> What I do not like in your proposal is that two classes with the same
> name are *not* supposed to have different layouts. Choose a new name
> when you do modifications.

I did change the names (in fact : I had 2 classes with different names
and the same layout).  But the feature of not-deleting unknown
classes/styles could have these advantages :
 * users that experiment with new class definitions are allowed to make
(typing) mistakes
 * transitions between styles become reversible :
   users that make a PhD tekst ("book") by cutting and pasting from
older articles ("article") are able to make this step ("book" has
classes that "article" doesn't have) with less problems
 * users that write/compile/print there LyX file on a powerfull system
at home
but do some debugging on an older system (using an older version)
somewhere else
do not make changes just by loading the file

The fun in asking for features is that one has not to think about how
difficult it is to implement them!

Gorik