On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Paolo wrote:

Sorry to keep you waiting...

> Thank you for your help.
> Your suggestion works corrctly in a latex file, but I am non able to use
> that in LyX.
> I tried the following instruction, in LyX:
>
>  \begin{enumerate}
>  \setcounter{enumi}{3}
>  \item line number 1
>  \item line number 2
>  \end{enumerate}
>
> Two lines numbered 4 and 5 result, as expected.
>
> Yet I didn't succeed when adding the single command \setcounter{enumi}{3}
> in a LyX enumerate environment.

Okay to make this work in LyX is even uglier than I imagined.  The main
problem is that LyX doesn't give us the option of squeezing a line or two
of raw LaTeX in between the \begin{...} and the first \item.  If we could
get a good solution to that we could also fix a few other minor problems
like adding toc entries for the Bibliography that would always give the
right page numbers.  Anyway,  in answer to your question here's an ugly
solution I came up with:

In the first item after the break insert the following as TeX:
        [##.]\setcounter{enumi}{##}

where the ## is the number you want the enumeration to start at.

I've also written a \newcommand to add to your preamble to give you a
simpler way of using this scheme:

        \newcommand{\setenumi}[1]{#1.\setcounter{enumi}{#1}}

In this case you just write as TeX:

        [\setenumi{3}]

at the start of the first \item after the break in enumeration.

I've tried a bunch of stuff but I can't seem to figure out a way to record
the value of enumi from the last \item before the break.  I can print the
value out at that \item but can't get a something simple like:

        \let\savetheenumi=\value{enumi}

or other variations to work.  Any others got ideas here?

Allan. (ARRae)