Hi everyone.

I didn't get a response, but I did my own research on comp.text.tex and
will report the results here. According to experienced tex'ers, there are
two packages that should solve my problems: titlesec and secsty. These are
both included in the Debian tetex-extra package. Unfortunately, because of
other ERT that I've already inserted in my thesis, the inclusion of either
one of these packages seems to cause more problems than they are likely to
fix. As a quick and dirty solution, I inserted forced line breaks in the
section headings that span more than one line. This eliminates the two
problems that I cited: hyphenation in headings and headings that violate
the right margin.

Thanks. Syrus.

--

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    UCSD Physics Dept.