On Fri, 07 Jan 2000, Nemeth Miklos wrote:
> Do not try to cheat ourselves! LyX's support and also LaTeX's to GIF,
> JPEG,  PNG, etc is very poor.
> My regular task is to create tutorials with a lot of screenshots.
> I did my best to use LyX then LaTeX and eventually PDFLaTeX, but the
> result  was always terrible.

1) Get a copy of a recent version of GIMP. It is _wonderful_.

http://www.gimp.org

2) Sufficient memory in your machine. For image manipulation, at least 64 Megs
is needed.

Make the screenshot.
Save it as a non-indexed file. The gimp's own format .xcf or .xcf.bz2 is fine.
Work on the picture, and then convert it to .ps or .eps _with sufficient
resolution_

Import it into the document.

> So I returned back to simple HTML. Of course HTML provides very
> poor  print quality but it is quite good for on-line viewing.

If you use the html2ps program to generate the PostScript you will be very
surprised by the printed results.

http://www.tdb.uu.se/~jan/html2ps.html

> This eps and ps image-based technology is very awful.
> I am also eager to return back to LyX, LaTeX world, but I want also to
> use good quality images.

It's not _that_  bad.

Make sure that:-
1) you do all the image work on non-indexed images ( very importand )
   GIFs are usually indexed, convert them to non-indexed before doing _anything_

2) You _never_ save as .jpeg, the jpeg compression ruins the print quality
   detail in the picture.

> I know there is a book solely dedicated to LaTeX and graphics, maybe it
> contains some invaluable hints.

The online GIMP manual is at:-

ftp://manual.gimp.org/pub/manual/

There is a very good Latex introduction; go to:

http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/lshort/

--
Sincerely etc.,

 NAME       Christopher Sawtell - Support Engineer - iOpen Technologies Ltd.
 CELL PHONE 021 257 4451
 ICQ UIN    45863470
 EMAIL      chris @ iopen . co . nz,  csawtell @ xtra . co . nz
 CNOTES     ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/C/tutorials/sawtell_C.tar.gz

 ---->>> Please refrain from using HTML attachments in e-mails to me. <<<----