>>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Subject: Searching documentation
>>From: Harry Putnam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Date: 04 Mar 2000 11:30:09 -0800
>>

>>Just starting with lyx, and looking for a way to grep the help docs.
>>Something more precise than a TOC, like grepping for precise RE.
>>
>>One would expect at least a cumbersome and slow FIND/FIND NEXT on the
>>menu.  Even that would beat just plowing along.
>>
>>But better to have some arrangement for precise RE searching.  At
>>least with the normal tools, but first we must know what files to look
>>in.  The rpm I have (yx-1.0.4-1), when listing the files I see nothing
>>that looks like a documentation file other than the man pages and
>>readmes.
>>
>>Seems some unconventional doc type file is used.
>>The many *.lyx files are not where the manual is either I guess.
>>
>>Similarly with the source tar.gz, I see no conventional docs directory.
>>
>>How can a user do RE searches  of the docs.  It wasn't clear to me how
>>the Manual and User Guide are packaged.  In what format?  Surely there
>>is a way to do precise searching in the voluminous documentation.

Done here: export to LaTeX, compile, export to html with maximum level
of segmentation, index as html tree, query through WWW gate.
Does not allow RE seach, but rather AND OR NOT (even soundex) query syntax.

Unperfect in some places (part of the lyx doc is designed to
be viewed with lyx), but quite efficient (IMHO).

Regards,

--
Jean-Pierre