On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Andre Poenitz wrote:

> The problem is parsing. First you have to convert from
> LyX formula (sort of LaTeX) to Maple syntax which is *not* trivial
> since LaTeX does not preserve the logical structure of the formula

Yes, but from LyX ro Octave/Scilab should be actually very easy. Just take
a LyX matrix and the conversion to Scilab/Octave is very
straightforward. Place the converted data to clipboard. Now just press the
middle button to paste it to Scilab/Octave.

Maxima would be harder, it seems not to be capable of even exporting LaTeX
:( I don't think it would be that difficult for simpler cases, tough.

> So if you come up with a decent LaTeX parser in C++ I am willing to
> implement the easy parts ;-)

So you need LaTeX2Maxima? I'll try to look at it if I have time. Another
two things Maxima needs are Maxima2LaTeX and GNU readline. My LISP skills
are just quite poor :( (Macsyma/Maxima is written in Common Lisp).

Offtopic, but I wonder is MuPad/Maple better than Maxima? I personally
believe they are not but this is just a belief.