>> for the introduction use the chapter* style or any other one, wich does
>> not apper in the toc and add
>> \addcontentsline{toc}{section}{Introduction}
>This works great, but I have another problem, too. I use the default fancy
>style for my headings and get 'Table of Contents' as heading (and not
>'Introduction') in my Introduction. Any hints?

Just give a look to the attached lyx file. I think it will adress some
of your problems (as it does for me...)

the (lcr)head and (lcr)foot commands tells what to write in the
various header fields.

headrulewidth controls the width of the top horizontal bar.

markboth tells to put the following text in the leftmark variable.
So you can change as you like.
(you can use the same command to change conclusion and references)

the last renewcommand gives the format of the heading for the
following chapters, that is here :
1. My first chapter title                                   5
It can be easily custumised (if you have a good latex reference manual
;)).

Hope it will help you !

Raphael

--                          **  PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF TEL & FAX **
Raphaël Gurlie
email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Laboratoire de Biochimie Théorique
tel. +33 (0)1 58 415 164        13, rue Pierre et Marie Curie
fax. +33 (0)1 58 415 026        75005 Paris - FRANCE
#This file was created by <raphael> Mon Mar 20 14:31:12 2000
#LyX 1.0 (C) 1995-1999 Matthias Ettrich and the LyX Team
\lyxformat 2.15
\textclass report
\language french
\inputencoding latin1
\fontscheme default
\graphics default
\paperfontsize 12
\spacing single
\papersize a4paper
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 0
\use_amsmath 0
\paperorientation portrait
\secnumdepth 2
\tocdepth 2
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language french
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle default

\layout Title

\family sans
\series bold
MY THESIS TITLE
\layout Author

\emph on
Raphaël Gurlie
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
lhead{
\backslash
leftmark}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
chead{}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
rhead{
\backslash
thepage}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
lfoot{}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
cfoot{}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
rfoot{}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
renewcommand{
\backslash
headrulewidth}{0.4pt}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
pagenumbering{roman}
\layout Standard

\begin_inset LatexCommand \tableofcontents{}

\end_inset

\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
markboth{Table of Contents}{}
\layout Chapter*

Introduction
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
pagenumbering{arabic}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
markboth{Introduction}{}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{Introduction}
\layout Standard

Here is my introduction ....
\layout Standard

\latex latex