Thanks a lot to Juergen and Jean-Marc; however, I cannot find my Compose key.
I've tried with xkeycaps (I am running Linux), and cannot find anything called
"compose" or "Compose"; then I tried modifying directly the .Xmodmap file in
two different ways: first, I wrote :"add Compose = Super_L" (where Super_L is
mapped to the WIndows key). That didn't do anything. Then I directly wrote
"keycode 0x73 =  Compose" (again, that is the left Windows key). That didn't do
anything.  I've looked through the manuals and I don't seem to be able to find
how/where the information on the Compose key is.

The only modifiers I seem to be able to select from xkeycaps are:
Shift, Lock, Control, mod1, mod2, mod3, mod4, mod5.

What am I doing wrong?