with different help, I have found a solution to the problem of editing lyx
files _outside_ lyx. This is necessary, for example, when importing ascii
files or to search/replace special characters, not allowed in the
search/replace windows in lyx.

the problem comes from the fact that latex need carriage return between
instructions and this is not easy to do in usual text processors.

As one may think the solution is with emacs. For example, in emacs,

M-x replace-string
 !
C-q C-j
\protected_separator C-q C-j
!

inserts a protected separator before the !. C-q C-j inserts a cr in the
emacs field.

the result, in the source file, is:

this needs an exlamation point
\protected_separator
!

if any body nows how to do the same with sed or awks, I would appreciate
(to write scripts)

good editing.

--
<http://www.dodin.net> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
QUI EST CET HOMME ? Aidez-moi à le retrouver