Chris> Whenever my document transitions to standard from any other
Chris> environment the first paragraph is flush left but subsequent
Chris> paragraphs are indented. This occurs even in the help/tutorial
Chris> files and in the editing window as well as in dvi and
Chris> postscript output.

Chris> Is is supposed to look this way? If not, how do I fix it?

Yes, it is a design choice of the people who wrote the LaTeX classes.
It is a common typography practice.

If you really think that you know better than typographers (?), you
can get the package indentfirst.sty:
ftp://ftp.loria.fr/pub/unix/tex/ctan/help/Catalogue/entries/indentfirst.html

JMarc