> Is it envisaged, before October 2000, to include the following
> functionalities :
> - The displaying (on the screen) of the whole of the symbols of AMS
> (currently, the pallet of displayable symbols is rather restricted)

This is a feature I too would like to see. I've actually did some work on
this, but I stopped as I learned that Alejandro Sierra
(the author of the math editor) has been working on a totally new mathed,
so I will probably start working again after the new mathed is merged to the
current code (unless the new mathed already supports all AMS symbols :)

[Note to Alejandro: is the new mathed is feature complete (i.e. is it ready
to replace the old mathed?]

> - The functionality ABOVE/BELOW which allows, for
> example, to write the
> arrow of an equation in chemistry (arrow with text above).

You can use arrays for composing two symbol vertically.
However, for arrows it is better to use the amsmath commands \xleftarrow and
\xrightarrow. Use can use these command in the math editor, but you don't
get visual representation for these commands.
Again, the addition of better support for these (and other amsmath) commands
should be done after the merge with the new mathed.