>From: Rachel Greenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: best way to make PDF files?
>Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 10:37:49 +0100
>
>Ronald Florence wrote:
> >
> > Shawn Boyette writes:
> >
> >   While we're on the subject, I've noticed that PDF output seems to
> >   rapidly be moving towards the preferred format. Are there plans to
> >   integrate PDF production more tightly into LyX?
> >
> > I'd second this suggestion.  It's possible to configure pdflatex on
> > the export->custom menu, but we already preconfigure an envelope
> > printing script into that menu, so it would be handy if PDF output
> > were a regular menu option for output, with lyxrc configuration
> > options like those offered for html.
>
>Thirded. :-) PDF is a pretty universal way of sending formatted documents
>people; regardless of operating system they can easily install a reader if
>they don't already have one. Also, LyX does produce (indirectly) very nice
>PDF assuming the fonts problem is resolved, but the PDF contents generation
>is a good idea too. xdvi is a bit ugly - the rendering is nice enough, but
>the UI is 'orrid.
>
>--
>Rachel

What the heck.  I'll fourth it.  Has anyone done a study to see what the
most efficient way to produce pdf is?  (I.e. not just found A way to do it,
but tried lots of them to see which gives the smallest file size, etc.)  My
way is to export to tex and then use pdflatex, converting any graphics with
ps2pdf first.  I've seen several other ways described.  Any ideas on how to
evaluate them?