On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 11:25:20PM +0000, Herbert Voss wrote:
> prettyref needs a label definiaion like \label{tab:MyTable}
> than \prettyref{tab:Mytable} gives in dvi-output Table aNumber.
> from my point of view, lyx doesn't create the labels in
> prettyref-style, so it's not possible to use cross-reference
> with the prettyref-button.

Why not?
When inserting the label in LyX, give it the name tab:mytable,
and then you can insert the prettyref. No need for ERT!

> it's a question to Lars or/and Jean-Marc:
>   insert label AND insert cross-reference must have BOTH
>   the prettyref-option?! if someone chooses once this option
>   all the rest of labels and references must converted
>   to prettyref-style.

It seems that you expect to use labels without a prefix, (like MyTable),
and let lyx automatically generate the prefix (tab:) when generating the
latex file.
This is not done by LyX.

An interesting question is whether it is possible to write a smarter LaTeX
package, which doesn't need the prefixing the labels (i.e., the \label command
is redefined to output also the counter name to the auxiliary file) ?