In a message dated: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 00:03:07 +0200
"Matej Cepl" said:

>On 16 Aug 00, at 10:48, Raffael Herzog wrote:
>
>> I think emacs is a great front-end to LaTeX on the console. OK, using
>> Emacs, You'll need to know LaTeX, but just take a look at the code LyX
>> produces! It's quite simple.
>
>> How would you show the different environments on the console? The best I
>> could imagine would be: show the LaTeX code, because there are too many
>> environments to format them uniquely on the console. And that's exactly
>> what Emacs does.
>
>Hi,
>
>I would strongly disagree. The problem for me is not, that I would
>not be _able_ to learn LaTeX, but rather that I do not _want_ to. I
>perfectly know the LaTeX syntax (I have written couple of
>documents using AUCTeX), but I do not want to be bothered by all
>the codes, but I prefer clean text, which I can better concentrate on.

Well, I think another argument towards getting an ncurses based LyX working,
is that just about all the effort which would go into this would also be
important if LyX were to be ported to a PDA environment.  Obviously, if
porting to something like the Palm Pilot, different libraries would need to be
linked in, but the basic logic of how to get things working in "console" mode
would be essentially the same, no?

Though, with things like the iPaq/Itsy coming out and capable of running a
full fledged Linux system with X in 32MBs of RAM, kind of makes this a
moot point :)
--
Seeya,
Paul