I've built LyX 1.1.5 fix1 from source using gcc 2.95.2 and Xforms
0.88 on HP-UX 10.20. I am able to run the program, but none of the
pull-down menus work properly.

The menus pull down, but they flicker rapidly and the flickering
makes it difficult to select an item within a menu using the mouse.

Also, if I hold down the mouse button long enough (as if I'm using
MacOS menus), I can generate a fatal error (see below).

If I choose File -> Import, the additional menu appears, and the
flickering gets worse. It's impossible to read the additional menu
options, and the title of the Import tab is garbage as if two things
are overwriting that space. In this case, if I leave the menu up,
eventually defpup will fail again in the same place as below, but
with 32 menus allocated to "Notitle".  Additional messages repeatedly
appear with "In pupshortcut [xpopup.c 569] Bad popup index -1"
terminating with one line of "In dopup [xpopup.c 1023] bad pupID: -1"
and then "LyX: This shouldn't happen..." !!!

Sometimes when I try to choose a menu item, an Alert box appears:
"Error! Couldn't delete temporary directory: /tmp/lyx_tmp1249aaa  No
such file or directory." When I dismiss the alert box, the menu item
might work, or it might not. On occasion, the alerts will continue to
appear, seemingly forever.

The mini-buffer shows shortcut keys for the menu items if I position
the mouse properly.

I am able to navigate within the program using shortcuts of key
combinations. The toolbar entries also work properly.

I'm not sure where to go from here. How should I approach this problem?

Thanks,
Bruce Foster

Here is the error traceback that appears when I press button 1 too long:

In defpup [xpopup.c 171] Exceeded FL_MAXPUP (32)
Please check for leaks. Current allocated menus are:
         0: Import
         1: Export
         2: Notitle
         3: Import
         4: Export
         5: Notitle
         6: Import
         7: Export
         8: Notitle
         9: Import
         10: Export
         11: Notitle
         12: Import
         13: Export
         14: Notitle
         15: Import
         16: Export
         17: Notitle
         18: Import
         19: Export
         20: Notitle
         21: Import
         22: Export
         23: Notitle
         24: Import
         25: Export
         26: Notitle
         27: Import
         28: Export
         29: Notitle
         30: Import
         31: Export
In XPopUP [util.c 43] Can't Allocate
---
Northwestern University | Academic Technologies | Research Technologies
1603 Orrington Ave Suite 1400 | Evanston IL 60201-5064
847/491-4055 (voice) 847/467-7705 (fax)  http://charlotte.acns.nwu.edu/bef/

"The purpose of computation is insight, not numbers." -- Richard Hamming