On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 12:02:43PM -0500, Mark Hansel wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2000, John Culleton wrote:
>
> >Mark Hansel wrote:
> >>
> >> Problem: lyx 1.1.5fix1 crashes when there is little free (real) memory on
> >> two alpha systems. (I reverted to 1.1.4, applied the three patches and got
> >> the same behavior.) This is an upgrade from 1.1.0.
> >>
> >> System: Alpha LX 164 128 MB. OS: RH 6.2
> >>
> (The error is "Illegal instruction (core dumped)" (cut and paste).
> >
> >Are your documents extremely large?
>
> It does not matter what size document I try. Crashes occur loading lyx
> without a document or with a small document or with a monster document. I
> have to unload netscape, my calendar, time keeper, clock, addressbook, a
> dozen text files (open in emacs) - todo lists, short notes, etc. -- I have
> to free up about 25-30MB before the program loads.

Maybe it has more to do with you freeing up display colors?

My machine only has 96MB ram (but lots of swap space) and I don't have
the problems you are describing. Do you have enough swap space configured?

--
Kayvan A. Sylvan                   | Proud husband of      | Father to my kids:
Sylvan Associates, Inc.            | Laura Isabella Sylvan | Katherine Yelena