I apologize for asking questions not Lyx specific, but may be somebody can help
me:

 *Problem 1*
I am using a program TechPlot which produces diagrams (vectorgraphics). It
exports the file also as eps. However, I am having problems with the bounding
box. Some of the figures overlay the horizontal line of my (fancy style) header
or sometimes even the text in the header. How can I trim the figure to avoid
it? I used Roger William´s proposal:
#########################
I've found that the easiest thing is usually to view the PS file with
gv or another PostScript previewer, use the cursors to identify the X
and Y extents of the portion of the figure you wish to use, and then
use your favourite text editor to edit the "%%BoundingBox:" comment in
the PS file (by convention, it'll be near the top; if it's not there,
add one).

This step usually takes all of about 30 seconds per figure...

--
Roger Williams                         finger me for my PGP public key
Coelacanth Engineering Inc    consulting & turnkey product development

but it does not help (i.e. overlay still there or even worse).

*Problem 2*
When I view my book.ps  under ghostview, it stops displaying the pages before
the end. I traced the first stop to a figure which is quite large (above 2 MB),
but there are figures which are larger and which are displayed alright.
Rerunning gv after having taken this figure out stops again before the end of
the document.

Before I try to trace the stop to figures, I would like to know whether I have
some way of checking the error messages. I used dvips after exporting the .tex
from lyx but there was no error message until the end of the document (about
300 pages, 300 figures).

  --  Wolfgang Engelmann Physiologische "Okologie der Pflanzen
Institut f"ur Botanik Universit"at T"ubingen
Auf der Morgenstelle 1
D72076 TUEBINGEN (Germany)
Tel 07071-29-76162
privat 07071-68324 or 68325