Errr...

what's wrong with using the Color option of the Character popup?

If your desired color isn't listed, then someone mention recently that you
could use the graphix package to refine your own colors in the latex
preamble. Use, if I recall correctly, is something like myred{ some text,
blah, blah, blah}. The myred{ and } should be in red (LaTeX mode). Not sure
about the text in between.

Angus