On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Andre Juffer wrote:

> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/../../../libforms.so: undefined
> reference to `_xstat'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> So, apparently the system can find the library files, but the files
> themselves seem corrupt. I will try to find another xform library.

I don't think the problem is with corrupted xforms library, although, of
course, you may try replacing that too.

It looks a little bit like that the xforms library is compiled for being
linked with libraries that are incompatible with your libraries. (Maybe
the Redhat development gcc version has something to do with this...)

Easy solution would be to recompile xforms, but of course, (AFAIK) it is
still not open source.

Downgrading your Linux distribution would probably help but that would be
quite much of work.

It might be interesting to see if the symbol "_xstat" is defined somewhere
in your libraries, eg "nm /lib/libc-2.1.*.so | grep _xstat" (it is in my
Redhat 6.2 glibc 2.1.3 gcc 2.91.66 system), but whatever the result is,
I don't know how that would help you.

-

>the problem I had with the xforms has been solved. It seems that I had
Great!

>an corrupt file or something. I have taken the glibc5 version from the
I hope it's glibc2 aka libc6 actually.

>ftp.lyx.org and that one was ok. That is, configure did not complain.
Now let's see if it actually works... (tell if it doesn't)