I should start by saying I'm rather new at lyx and latex. The previous
technical documentation I did was in roff.

I'm trying to write a programming document for text file and dead-tree
targets, and I'm running into a bit of trouble when I want to include a
code sample.

I tried hacking up the article class a bit to add a nestable environment
thingie with a wider left margin so I could play with the environment
depth to get different indentations, but then when I output to the text
file, I get double spaces between each line of code. Not good.

I feel like I'm trying to hammer nails with a sea-bass here, surely I
can't be the first person on earth to want to include code samples in a
document?