On 9 Jan 01, at 16:22, Syrus Nemat-Nasser wrote:

> > When I insert pictures into a file (say two pictures in one "wide figure
> > float") the pictures seem to be nicely in their place in the LyX window
> > but when I actually compile the file and view the dvi, the pictures are
> > at top of the page rather than where I want them to be.
>
> This is default behavior for LaTeX. However, you can try to control the
> placement by putting '!h' (without the quotes) in the float placement box
> of the Layout->Document dialog. 'h' means: here; '!h' means: try really
> really hard to place this float here.

Before cursing LaTeX as the most stupid typesetting program at all,
try to consider, that there is another target which LaTeX tries to hit
(as usuall). Which is the optimal placement of the picture (or table)
in the output. When you have a huge rectangle in the text, things
are getting extremely complicated for the typesetter, unless it is
allowed to float figures freely.

Therefore, I would recommend NOT to use !h option, but rather to
be prepared, that my figure (or table) may be placed somewhere
else and refer to it only indirectly ("see table 4"). Than you need not
it being placed directly after the particular paragraph and reader can
easily find where it best fit for typesetter.

More could be find in one very old article in TUGBOAT by Phillip
Taylor (big article -- something about book typesetting).
Recommended.

Matej Cepl

                        Have a nice day