Andre> Straight to the point: I'm very disappointed. Not even M$ dared
Andre> to introduce a file format change between minor versions, say,
Andre> 1.1.5 to 1.1.6; they made (or declared) changes in major
Andre> releases "only", e.g. Word 6/97/2000. What do you think I mean
Andre> when I see a .lyx file? Not that I don't know if I'll ever be
Andre> able to open it, like one of those dreaded .doc files. When I
Andre> use LyX I want the long-term compatibility the underlying LaTeX
Andre> provides. If a .lyx file is not a .tex file, well; but if a
Andre> .lyx file is not readable by the not-latest-and-greatest
Andre> minor(!) version because the file format has changed, we're
Andre> heading into the wrong direction.

Unfortunately, changing format only for major releases is only
possible if you have a development team strong enough to be able to
have both a stable and development branch (think Linux kernel). We
tried that, and we failed: all the old development branch we had was
scraped in sep 99 and we started again from LyX 1.0.4.

So now the new plan is to rewrite LyX is a progressive way. You can
see the 1.1.x versions as development series, _except_ that they are
usable and stable. This means that changes in file format should
happen at some point and that all the changes cannot happen in the
same version. In 1.1.6, we already have introduced the text inset
(used for the cells of table) and we will have to shake bugs out of it
before this same inset can be used in many parts of the code. This is
a bit difficult to get right and we do what we can...

JMarc