On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 11:31:18PM -0500, Myriam Abramson wrote:
> How can I tell lyx once and for all to break before Section,
> subsection, paragraph etc. headers if there is no room for a couple of
> lines at least?

I think that LaTeX usually does that: it will put a pagebreak before a
section if there is no room for 2 lines, but I don't know how to increase the
value 2.
However, in some document classes, the sections command are poorly defined,
and the the section heading can appear on one page while the paragraph
begins at the next page.

Marco Bravi wrote:
> This translates into: "does LaTeX provide control over the number of
> widows/orphans of a document?". Every decent wordprocessor does, so I
> assume LaTeX does.... even better!

LaTeX does have widows/orphans control (from the LyX FAQ):
 To eliminate widows and orphans (first line from a paragraph at the bottom
 of the page and the last line from a paragraph at the top of the page), add
 the following to the LaTeX preamble:
 \widowpenalty=10000
 \clubpenalty=10000

but I don't think it will help with the problem above.