On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 06:13:56PM +0200, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
> My problem is that I have some wide equations on 2-column article, that
> will be printed over the equation number on the right edge of the
> column. If there's just one equation line, the AMSmath is clever enough to
> move the equation number down that they don't overlap. But it doesn't do
> this for multiline equations. How could I prevent the equation and its
> number from overlapping?

You should use the AMS math environment align, instead of using eqnarray.

Unfortunately, LyX currently doesn't have support for it, so you need to write
the the formula using ERT (you can use math-macro to define parts of of the
formula, and then use the defined macros in the ERT).
However, I recently added to LyX support for the align environment,
but the code is not yet in CVS. I can send you a patch if you are interested.