On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 2:03 PM, John Kane <jrkrid...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Due to a nasty mechanical problem with my normal computer I am having to
> haul an older laptop out of retirement for a while while repairs or a
> replacement for the main machine is decided upon.
> Unfortunately this means installing a lot of software on a relatively new
> Windows 7 OS rather than sticking with my normal Ubuntu 14.04 (sob) and I am
> trying to get things to look as normal as possible in Windows.
> About three or four years ago I did a bit of customizing of the LyZ
> appearance. I had counted the number of icons on the two task bars and came
> up with 55 icons. I don't normally use more than 6-8 regularly and so I
> decided to remove most of the icons. I also added the newly edited task bar
> to the full-screen (F11) LyX appearance and adjusted the text width. As I
> dimly remember it was tedious and a bit picky but not very difficult,
> I could have sworn I did my editing in one or more files in the ui folder
> but I cannot seem to find the the same things I thought I had remembered. Am
> I just not reading the files correctly or am I in the wrong place? If so,
> where would I look. Googling does not seem to bring up whatever I found last
> time and, if it is in the manuals, I have failed to find it.
> For that matter, if the edits are in the ui folder or wherever, could I just
> copy them from my damaged machine and paste them into LyX on Windows? It is
> still operational (with care) and I have not sent it off for repairs yet.

Unsolicited advice: BEFORE you send it to anywhere else for any sort
of repairs, DO A BACKUP. I've seen people lose months of work by
sending the laptop to customer service, who blissfully replaced the
harddrive.

On Linux, the the config should be in ~/.lyx/ui . If not, then check
if maybe you made the changes in /usr/share/lyx/ui/ (as root).

It's a bit unclear though what config changes do you want to keep.

Liviu

--
Do you think you know what math is?
http://www.ideasroadshow.com/issues/ian-stewart-2013-08-02