On 12/04/2015 11:20 a.m., Steve Burnham wrote:
On April 10, 2015 at 01:47:40, SESTINI PIERSANTE (piersante.sest...@unisi.it <mailto:piersante.sest...@unisi.it>) wrote:
Il 2015-04-10 03:49 Steve Burnham ha scritto:
> A year ago I received a lot of help from the users list in getting my
> universities thesis class setup to work with LyX. I am now trying to
> set it up as a template of sorts so that others in my program can
> benefit from LyX. The template complies just fine on OS X using the
> latest version of LyX. When trying to compile on Windows however it
> does not compile and lists the following errors:
>
> Two LoadClass commands
> Missing begin{document}
>
> On OSX I simply have the LyX file, .cls, .sty, and .layout files all
> in the same folder as a couple of child documents and the compile
> works. My guess is that this setup somehow conflicts with how LyX and
> MiKTeX operate on windows. I’ve Created a zip file with the required
> thesis files and a minimal example. The users list won’t let me
> attached a zip file so it can be downloaded from the link below. If
> anyone can take a look at it and give some insight as to why it
> won’t compile on Windows it would be appreciated.
>
> https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B4Kdj1kZwg6GSlRRODlJaF9QRTA&export=download
>

> -Steve Burnham
I am not an expert, but MiKTeX already has a thesis package in
/tex/latex/thesis. My guess is that it loads instead of your thesis.sty
and/or cls and conflicts
Renaming your style to uuthesis.sty (and changing the premble
accordingly) seems to work here

Hope this helps

Piersante

Thanks for the response. Your diagnosis I believe was correct but fixing it wasn’t quite as simple. Here’s what I did just for the record:

I went to the following directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\latex

There I created a folder called “uuthesis” and I place the .cls and .sty files in there. In my case the .cls file was named uuthesis and the .sty was named thesis. I changed the .sty to uuthesis so that there wouldn’t be two thesis.sty files in the MikTeX database. Once I had those files added I went into the MikTeX settings and refreshed FNDB and updated formats (MiKTeX settings weren’t easy to find as they aren’t listed under MiKTeX, on both windows 7 and 8 I had to use the search function in the start menu and just search for “settings” and it came up). Finally, in the preamble of the LyX file I renamed the .sty file it was looking for to uuthesis. Once I did all of that the document was able to compile.

For whatever reason it seems that my installation of LyX on Windows won’t use local .sty files and only ones that are in the MiKTeX folders where as on Unix based operating systems it will. I don’t know if this is the case for all of Windows or not. All the more reason to use Linux or OS X.

-Steve
You can create your own texmf tree in a location of your choice, mimicking MiKTeX's own one in structure, and get MiKTeX to search that before it searches the C:\Program Files (x86)\MiKTeX 2.9\ locations (so that it would use your thesis.sty before the other one). To do this, in the MiKTeX Settings dialog, click on the Roots tab then, using the Add button add the desired location.

Andrew