Well, it's drastic change from a plain format but I find that apacite seems
to do this.  Note I pull most of my references off web using Zotero which
downloads the DOIs automatically. I have no clue if other bib packages do
so or if you might need to add them manually.

It uses (author, date) format rather than [number] and IIRC you need to
load the Natbibapa module and set the bibliography to natbib (author, date)

--
John Kane
Kingston ON Canada