Bob Alvarez <aprendtech <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a way to get Lyx to display an error message when it cannot
> find a citation in a bibtex database or a cross-reference to a label in
> the document?

Here is the way to do it:
1. In Lyx (my version is 2.1.3 on Windows 7), select View|Messages Pane

2. make a small change in your file so the document will be re-processed

3. Click on View (the two eyes icon) or ctrl-R
You will see many messages appear.

4. Scroll down to the line containing
bibtex <your lyx file name)

5. The lines immediately after that will contain the messages from bibtex
including the error messages.
In my example, they contained the message:
09:24:22.758: Warning--I didn't find a database entry for "Anderson1986"