On 2015-07-06, Richard Opheim wrote:

> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding:  --]

> I'm having a problem with inputting Japanese into an English doc.
> I use LyX 2.1.3 on Windows 8.
> The doc is mostly English and I want to use Times New Roman.
> I know that if I go to Doc settings/Font, check "Use non-TeX fonts", and
> select a Japanese font (such as MS PMincho) in the "Roman" box, I can
> compile the (attached) minimal example.
>  However, I lose bolding, italics, and the apostrophes look funny. In fact,
> the whole roman alphabet part of this font is pretty bad.
> What I really want to select in the drop-down box is Times New Roman, but
> then the Japanese characters won't appear at all.
> Any suggestions?

The "fontspec" TeX package used by LyX for "non-TeX fonts" allows advanced
configuring with different fonts for different scripts.

You can set "Times" in the GUI and use the "LateX preamble" in
Document>Settings for the selection of a font for Japanese.
See the "fonspec" documentation for details.
http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/fontspec/fontspec.pdf

Günter