You get the privilege of giving money to Microsoft. Also, I think it
prevents that really annoying pop-up saying THIS MIGHT BE UNSAFE RUN RUN
RUN~!!!!!!!! OR YOUR COMPUTER WILL CRASH AND DIE HORRIBLY. NEVER TRUST
ANYTHING NOT VERIFIED BY US. Do you wish to install the application anyway?

AFAIK, this is the only benefit. Certification isn't too hard though, but
it costs about $1,000 every 2 years or something for a verisign licence.
This was all about 5 years ago. It might have changed but at work, we
refereed to this as the Microsoft tax.