On 24/09/2015 3:36 a.m., Joe wrote:
Of course I doubt this would work so good if I was writing something that needed tables, or other constructs that wouldn't make it through smashwords so called meat-grinder. But I'm writing fiction. So this will work for me, until I find a better way. If anyone knows of a better way to get the resulting word.doc, formatted to the exacting standards described in the smashwords style guide. And still look like the output LyX thought I meant when I composed with LyX. So that it could keep me from fat fingering extra spaces, and all the other formatting mistakes that would creep in to my work, if I tried to compose with a mere word processor. Then please give me a clue. Cause this repeatable kludge is a real PITA! Thank you!

Have you considered exporting to rich text format and opening the resulting rtf document in LibreOffice? I'm on windows, but I've found the program latex2rtf does a pretty good job of handling even quite complicated LyX objects (like tables, simple equations, footnotes). For straightforward text (section headings, paragraphs, emphasised text etc.) it could save you a *lot* of effort. The main problem for me was setting the thing up. You need to ensure the rich text format is defined in Tools > Preferences > File Handling > File Formats and then set up a converter from latex to rtf. In my windows set up this is

c:/PROGRA~2/latex2rtf/latex2rt.exe -P c:progra~2/latex2rtf/cfg $$i

In linux, the paths will obviously be different. The critical part was the -P option which points latex2rtf to its cfg file.

Andrew

---