Franci Žižek <franciju <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> Can someone give me a hint how I could create a different equation numbering
> variant?
>
> Currently all my equations are numbered like: (2.3.2)
>
> For some select equations I would like this to change to: (2.3.3)Δ
> The counting is continuous, some equations just have an additional DELTA at
> the end.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Franci Žižek

I'm going to assume that you want the marked equations not to interrupt the
equation numbering scheme. In other words, you want (2.3.3)DELTA consecutive
between (2.3.2) and (2.3.4), rather than having both a (2.3.3) and a
(2.3.3)DELTA.

Create a math macro (Insert > Math > Macro), name it something like \mytag,
and fill the TeX code slot with

\stepcounter{equation}\tag{\theequation\Delta}

and the LyX display slot with ?\Delta?. There's nothing sacred about what
goes in the LyX slot; feel free to change it at will. More about that in a
second.

Then, in any equation you want to flag, just type \mytag in the equation
body. LyX will display ?\Delta? (or whatever you substituted) in the
equation, and will annotate the equation number correctly in the output. If
you leave the LyX portion of the macro empty, LyX will expand the macro
inside the equation. That still works, but it makes for some remarkably ugly
equations in the LyX GUI.

Paul