I am on Linux Mint 17, using the lyx-devel/release ppa. When I tried to
install the regular system updates today using the update manager, it
failed with the message,

E:/var/cache/apt/archives/lyx_2.2.0-1~trusty~ppa3_amd64.deb: trying to
overwrite '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/lyx.svg', which is also
in package lyx-common 2.1.4-1~trusty~ppa1

I'm not sure I understand what exactly the problem is or was, but I
resolved the problem by running.

sudo apt-get remove lyx
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lyx

I hope this helps in case anyone else runs into this same issue, and I also
hope that perhaps we can understand better what went wrong to avoid it in
the future.

Jacob Bishop <jacob.bis...@usu.edu>