On 08/02/2016 10:40 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2016, David L. Johnson wrote:
>
>> These are being created since the files were edited by the new
>> version of
>> LyX you installed, which uses a newer format. LyX then auto-saves
>> them in
>> the old format so that you can edit it, if you need to, with an older
>> version of LyX. This seems to be a reasonable thing to do at the
>> start of
>> a new format, and will not occur when you edit files using LyX-2.2 that
>> are already in the new format.
>
> David,
>
>   Thanks for the clarification. I don't recall seeing these files when
> previous versions (from 1.0 on) were upgraded.

It's a new feature with 2.2. When you load files with a new major
release, it has
to be converted to the new format (which encodes various new features).
We had
some cases where people tried to load files with 2.1 and the file was
for some
reason corrupted. Of course, they had a backup. Or not. So now we do not
over-
write the original file, but just rename it.

Richard