Den 23. aug. 2016 11:49, skrev Bernt Lie:
A bit more cumbersome, but math mode is not needed. If you need this symbol
often, copy/paste instead of using the menu every time.
I often run into the problem of copying/pasting among 3-4 (or whatever) different
symbols/groups of symbols. Is there a way to *name* these copies, and pasting them back
with reference to the name? (OK... I realize that this is akin to the
"fragment" system I have asked about before...).

-Bernt Lie

I don't know any way to have multiple paste buffers.
But if you have a few strings/symbols common to all your writing, consider binding them to unused key combinations.
See Help->Shortcuts and Tools->Preferences->Editing->Shortcuts

Also, if you like to reference by name, consider that all math symbols can be inserted by name. Use ctrl+m to get math mode, type a \ followed by the name of the symbol. Then a final space. Such as \alpha for a a greek lowercase alpha, or \sim for that ~ symbol. To learn these names, find the symbol through the math toolbar, and let the mouse pointer hover on top of the symbol. You will then see a little mouseover textbox with the symbol name.

Another copy-paste trick is to have a separate short LyX document with all symbol strings you like to paste. Keep it open in another (possibly smaller) window. When you need something, copy-paste from the other document. This works for more than strings - you can have examples of external insets, tables, frames or figure floats set up a specific way, and so on. I sometimes paste stuff from the User's guideā€¦

Helge Hafting
  • ~ Wolfgang Engelmann