Thanks a lot, Jurgen-- I was reluctant to get into defining new Beamer templates, but it looks as if that is what was needed.  I guess one has to become a more experienced Beamer user to venture into this kind of template creation.  It would be great if Lyx allowed you to do that from its settings menu-- you had mentioned that it works in the article class, but I guess it would have to be extended to the presentation class.

Anyway-- your modification did the trick, and I am grateful.

Yours,

Ehud Kaplan