As long as the MikTeX server is awake and answering, you can rest easy.

It just so happens that whenever I need MikTeX to work for a workshop,
the server gets turned off/taken down.

In the design of MikTeX, the package installer cannot retrieve package
from other CTAN servers without first checking with that one MikTeX
server.  If anybody thinks that I'm not correct, please speak up.  The
links I provided on the original post explain that is the case.

Over the years, we have had a lot of hassles with MikTeX and
inabilility to get packages for new LaTeX files.  Its just better to
have all of them with TeXLive.  If a user walks in with a file that
depends on 10 classes I've never heard of, it is more likely to work
now.

The only part I've not worked out yet is spell checking and using the
Thesaurus.  But I will try harder later.