Slightly off topic:

I am using Jabref for my lyx work (debian). The version I use (2.10) does not support the medline any more.

I apparently need Java 8 for it -JRE or JDK are offered, which should go in /opt. Which one is recommendable? None is given in synaptic. And how do I unpack the JRE or JDK into /opt? Do I extract it first on my home/download and copy the folder as root into it?

How do I install jabref-3.7? Unpacking it gives me a lot of folders/files, but I can't find a help.

A long discussion is in the following, but it is beyond me:

Wolfgang