On 11/29/2016 12:07 PM, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

On 29.11.2016 17:10, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
On 11/29/2016 10:41 AM, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

On 29.11.2016 15:49, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

On 29.11.2016 15:05, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2016, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

I am using Jabref for my lyx work (debian). The version I use (2.10) does not support the medline any more.

Wolfgang,

I, too, use JabRef with LyX; it's great! I'm using JabRef-3.7 and ...
Thanks, Rich,
but Jabref-3.7 is the trouble. I have it installed already and used it all the time, but it is not supporting medline any more, which I used to use and need for fetching references from the web.
Wolfgang

I apparently need Java 8 for it -JRE or JDK are offered, which should go in /opt. Which one is recommendable? None is given in synaptic. And how do I > unpack the JRE or JDK into /opt? Do I extract it first on my home/download and copy the folder as root into it?

I'm using openjdk-8u91_b14 on Slackware. I recommend it (or Oracle's Java JDK) over the limited JRE version as it gives you more capabilities and
storage space is generally not an issue.

How do I install jabref-3.7? Unpacking it gives me a lot of folders/files,
but I can't find a help||

I don't know Debian or its derivatives, so I suggest that you go to the download Web page <https://www.fosshub.com/JabRef.html>, select the second option, "Download JabRef Platform independent runnable JAR," and deposit the
download in /opt/. You'll have /opt/JabRef-3.7.jar.

  To run it, I have a simple shell script (called jabref.sh):

#!/bin/bash

cd /opt/JabRef/
java -jar JabRef-3.7.jar
cd

  No muss, no bother.

HTH,

Rich

I guess the problem I encounter has to do with these first lines from the script Paul pointed out. I checked the /etc/apt/sources.list echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main" | tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list

but there is listed also sources.list.d (see NOTE below) which contains the files
lyx-devel-release-jessie.list
with:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/lyx-devel/release/ubuntu/ jessie main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/lyx-devel/release/ubuntu/ jessie main

and
webupd8team-java.list
with
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main

NOTE:
The function of the |/etc/apt/sources.list.d| directory is as follows:

Using the directory you can easily add new repositories w/o the need to edit the central |/etc/apt/sources.list| file. I.e. you can just put a file with a unique name and the same format as |/etc/apt/sources.list| into this folder and it is used by apt. In order to remove this source again you can just remove that specific file w/o the need for handling side effects, parsing or mangling with |/etc/apt/sources.list|. It's mainly for scripts or other packages to put their repositories there automatically - if you manually add repositories you could add them to |/etc/apt/sources.list| manually.

My QUESTION: should the script work with the infos in the two files in
sources.list.d?

Wolfgang
Wolfgang,

The webupd8team-java.list looks okay provided that you are either running Ubuntu Xenial (or a distribution built on that) or Debian Stretch (which is apparently the Debian version upon which Xenial is based). If, as the LyX list suggests, you're running Debian Jessie, then I think you need a webupd8team archive based on one of the following Ubuntu versions: Trusty; Utopic; Vivid; or Wily.

Paul

I am running Debian Jessie. So I should have used
lyx-devel-release-jessie.list
with:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/lyx-devel/release/ubuntu/ jessie main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/lyx-devel/release/ubuntu/ jessie main

and not
webupd8team-java.list
with
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu xenial main

??
Wolfgang
I'm not sure about the LyX PPA. If you got a version of LyX that works, I guess I would leave it alone. I would have thought you would need to specify an Ubuntu version, such as

 deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/lyx-devel/release/ubuntu/ trusty main

or one of the other Ubuntu versions derived from Jessie.

For the webupd8team-java.list entry, I would change "xenial" to "wily" in both lines and see if that helps. If any of the webupd8-java packages installed before you got the abort, you probably should uninstall them through Synaptic or apt, then (after fixing the .list file) update and try installing the two packages from the webupd8team PPA.

Paul