We (specifically, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes) have recently made some changes
to the text rendering algorithms in LyX. We would appreciate it if those
who are able could compile and use the 2.2.x branch of the git
repository, so that these changes can receive sufficient testing before
we schedule the release of LyX 2.2.3.

For those on Linux, this should not be terribly difficult. You will need
to install some headers libraries, e.g., zlib-devel and especially
qt-devel (naming may vary on various distros), as well as the usual
compilation tools (automake, make, gcc). You will also need to install
git to be able to check out the repo. But the compilation procedure is
otherwise fairly straightforward.

Do this, from whatever directory you choose (in which you have write
privileges):

> git clone git://git.lyx.org/lyx/
> cd lyx
> git checkout 2.2.x

You have now checked out the 2.2.x branch, which is what will become
2.2.3. Have a look, if you wish, at the INSTALL file for some
information about what else you may need to do. Compiling is then the
usual three-step:

> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure --enable-build-type=rel

This flag gives you a "release version" rather than a "development
version", which is what 2.2.3 would actually be.

> ./configure --help

if you want more information on other options. It is, for example,
possible to install LyX to a location other than the default, which is
/usr/local/, and which will normally require root privileges.

You may find that configuation fails. This will usually be due to your
not having all the dependencies installed. The configuation script is
usually pretty good at telling you what you need. If you have problems,
then please respond to this email, and we'll help.

> make
> sudo make install

You can add an option "-j N" to the first command make to speed things
up. This tells make to compile N files simultaneously. Roughly speaking,
you can set N to the number of cores you have (or even a few more).

Richard Heck
Stable Branch Maintainer