Dear Gordon,

thank you for the report.
Trying to reproduce your problem...

On 2017-01-14, gordon cooper wrote:

> There was the problem, a Hyperlink with a irreconcilable character, a
> beginning itemize dot, like this :

> • http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-pkgtools.en.html

This was in an URL inset or Hyperlink inset, right?

> Had a recent mysterious error when trying an Lyx to pdf conversion.
> The same Lyx file converted to html immediately, no errors.

How about XeTeX or LuaTeX with "non-TeX" (Unicode) fonts?
Works here.

> I had a coding error, ignored by one converter. A look at the source
> code was not a success.

This leads me to the assumption that you have set the inputencoding
(Document>Settings>Language>Encoding) to "Unicode (utf8)".

IMO, this is a good choice but not much tested on LyX unfortunately as LyX
uses mixed 8-bit encodings by default wit 8-bit "TeX fonts".

With the default encoding, the Source Pane shows the problematic character
in red.

> The program reported a Latex error but gave no error report.

Here, with utf8 encoding, the error report said "tex capacity exceeded"
while with an 8-bit encoding the error report was the more meaningfull
"could not find LaTeX command for character ...".

Also, inserting non-working Unicode characters into an URL inset is
blocked while copying from somewhere works (but fails later).

Interestingly, some high-bit characters (like äöü) work fine, others are
mangled (ß becomes \T1\ss in the output) others are blocked (e.g. °) (I
suppose, because it is "forced" in lib/unicodesymbols).

The problem here is to prevent the wast of time you experienced without
blocking valid use cases (e.g. export to HTML or with "non-TeX fonts").

Günter