Hello All,

I have obviously made an error creating this file in 2007 and now I'm
unable to open it.

This message in Lyx:

/home/charlie/lyx/rec-reserve/letters/shire/07-08-shire-funding.lyx is
not a readable LyX document

In a text editor the message is:

The file
/home/charlie/shire/07-08-shire-funding.lyx||07-08-shire-funding.lyx
was opened with UTF-8 encoding but contained invalid characters. It is
set to read-only mode, as saving might destroy its content. Either
reopen the file with the correct encoding chosen or enable the
read-write mode again in the tools menu to be able to edit it. [end
quote]

Then I get this:

48> <234575E8A4EDC1B14EE078D78DCA5E48>] >>

startxref

291216

Dozens of these numbers

trailer

<< /Size 180

/Root 178 0 R

/Info 179 0 R

/ID [<234575E8A4EDC1B14EE078D78DCA5E48>
<234575E8A4EDC1B14EE078D78DCA5E48>] >>

startxref

291216 00000 n

%%EOF

More numbers.

I attempted several encodings with the text editor but no joy. The
numbers changed a little bit but not a great deal.

Just a question here. One of the reasons use LyX is because I thought
any LyX file could be opened in a text editor and the contents rescued?
Now I wonder? I assume that I will lose some file and their content
anyway?

It doesn't matter if no one can help me with the problem. However, I
would like to know if I will lose old LyX files, be unable to open them
as time goes on and LyX evolves?

TIA

Stay well,
Charlie

--
        Registered Linux User:- 329524

        Calamities are of two kinds: misfortunes to ourselves, and good
        fortune to others. --Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

        Debian GNU/Linux - Magic indeed.