On 06/16/2017 12:01 PM, Steve Litt wrote:

Yes! This is a newer way that what I suggested, creating a layout file.
I've never used modules so I can't speak to which is better.

If you are working with a new document class that does not have an existing layout, you need to write a layout file (or copy and hack an existing layout for a document class similar to the new one). A single module probably won't cut it, and a gaggle of modules will be at least as much work.

If you are trying to implement an environment that you'll likely use in documents of more than one type, you want to create a module, which can be dropped into any document. The alternative would be to hack the layout files for each of the document classes where you might want that environment.

Before doing either, it's worth searching the LyX wiki (and Google) to see if that particular wheel has already been invented.

My $0.02 (before taxes),
Paul