On 10/05/2017 08:01 AM, Steve Hnizdur wrote:
Hi

I create a new document (standard article will do) and enter math input mode. I then enter \xx followed by left cursor arrow, I then move the cursor to between the two x's enter \ and then the right cursor. This then gives me (without the asterisks)

Assertion false violated in
file: ../../src/CoordCache.cpp, line: 31
There has been an error with this document.
LyX will attempt to close it safely.
LyX: Attempting to save document newfile1.lyx
  Saved to /home/steve/newfile1.lyx.emergency. Phew.

The current document was closed.

Is this local to me? Any thoughts.

It's not local to you. I just reproduced it here (Linux Mint 18.2, LyX 2.2.3) with exactly the same error message. I would suggest searching the bug tracker for "CoordCache", to see if there's already a bug for it, and filing one if not.

Paul