On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 19:45:53 +0200
Jürgen Spitzmüller <sp...@lyx.org> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 10.10.2017, 08:39 +0200 schrieb racoon:
> > I just tried the new (experimental) Inkscape figure (or should it be
> > SVG
> > figure?)
>
> No, Inkscape. It's a particular format that is only featured by that
> program.

Inkscape's internal format is an enhanced SVG that can be read directly
by most browsers. Inkscape has the capability of exporting an image to
an SVG without the extra-specification tags.

If the modern PDF standard can directly embed SVG, then probably it
wouldn't be too hard to show the SVG image in the LyX-created PDF,
without using Inkscape as a file converter. But if PDF can't directly
address embedded SVG, then Inkscape will indeed be needed by LyX as a
converter. It's easy to install free software.

By the way, a suggestion. If you're making diagrams with text, you
might find the text becoming too big or too small for the diagram in
your final output. If that happens to you, the solution is to convert
all text to curves before using the SVG. The upside of this is your SVG
looks in a browser just like it looked in Inkscape. The downside is
that the SVG gets much bigger, and it's no longer text-searcheable or
able to copy from.

Here's my shellscript to convert my SVG text to curves:

#!/bin/sh
orgname=$1
basename=`echo $orgname | sed -e's/\.[^.]*$//'`
extension=`echo $orgname | sed -e's/.*\.\([^.]*\)$/\1/'`
if test "$extension" != "svg"; then
        echo "Must be extension svg, not $extension. Aborting."
        exit 1
fi

newname=${basename}_nf.${extension}
echo Converting $orgname to $newname

if ! test -f $orgname; then
        echo  "$orgname doesn't exist: Aborting."
        exit 1
fi

inkscape --export-background=#ffffff \
 --export-text-to-path \
 --export-use-hints \
 --export-plain-svg=$newname $orgname
gpicview $newname

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2017 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21