Hello!

I'm recently having problems with LyX compiling exceptionally slowly
(compared to plain latex editors). Checking the log, I noticed that LyX
calls pdflatex a full 5 times for my thesis (but only once for a new
document, and 2 or 3 times for a test document derived from the thesis
file).

In an attempt to improve compilation time, in "Tools > Preferences > File
Handling > Converters > LaTeX (pdflatex) to PDF (pdflatex)" I changed the
command to use

    latexmk -pdf -pdflatex="pdflatex -interaction=nonstopmode -synctex=1"
$$i

which works; latexmk efficiently compiles the document in the first run,
and reports only "nothing to do" in the next 4 runs called by LyX.

This raises the question of how LyX actually determines the number of times
it has to run the converter; 5 times seems excessive, especially after the
first run nothing changes anymore (latexmk).

- Klaus