On 03/20/2018 04:22 AM, Steve Hnizdur wrote:
Hi

I upgraded Lyx to the shiny new 2.3 on Ubuntu 16.04 the other day and the first time hit the "eyes" icon to compile a document I got the Lyx Security Warning

"The following LaTeX backend has been configured to allow execution of external programs for any document:
pdflatex --shell-escape $$i
This is a dangerous configuration. Please, consider using the support offered by LyX for allowing this privilege only to documents that actually need it, instead."

The configuration has not been changed by me and is therefore the standard delivered out of the box Lyx configuration.

OK so what is the support offered by Lyx as mentioned? Also as this is under the control of Lyx why is it there at all?

Cheers
I got the same message, but not because LyX set the converter that way. I made that change years ago. When you install LyX, it inherits preferences from your existing personal LyX directory (~/.lyx), at least on Linux. (I'm not sure if this applies on Windows.) So you probably added the shell escape at some point in the past, and it just carried over.

Paul