I think, what I did wrong was not to select all the references with ctr a and use afterward the abbreviation step.

What I haven't solved yet is this:

if I select in JabRef e.g. options, it opens *behind* the JabRef main window. How do I get it to open in such a way that it is visible right away without having to move the main window aside?

Wolfgang