On 09/08/2018 09:15 PM, Peter Taylor wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have upgraded MiKTeX relatively recently – I don’t want to upgrade
> again if I don’t have to upgrade – so please could you update your
> webpage which says:
>

> (start quote)
>
> Due to a bug in MiKTeX, installation of LyX 2.3.0 can sometimes cause
> the MiKTeX installation to be corrupted. (See
> https://github.com/MiKTeX/miktex/issues/82.) If you run into problems,
> the solution will be to uninstall MiKTeX and then re-install.
>
> We highly recommend that MiKTeX users update to the latest version
> *before* installing LyX 2.3.0. If you have any questions about how to
> update MiKTeX, you can email lyx-users@lists.lyx.org for help. (You do
> not need to be subscribed to the mailing list to do so, but you may
> wish to do that anyway. See this page
> <https://www.lyx.org/MailingLists#toc2> for information on subscribing.)
>
> (end quote)
>

> This information does not mention specific versions – just says
> “latest version of MiKTeX”. My MiKTeX console window tells me it is
> version 2.9.6751.
>

> I am actually using another TeX editor which works fine for me but I
> want to collaborate with a colleague and I heard that LyX might be an
> easier editor for him to use on shared documents. Before doing that I
> want to check that LyX is something I can recommend to him.
>

> However seeing this message on your website has made me reluctant to
> try out LyX in case my MiKTeX installation gets corrupted.

There is currently some major bug in MiKTeX that is preventing any kind
of update. You might want to wait a little bit before doing anything.

Frankly, this is the second catastrophic bug in MiKTeX this year. I
myself have been workigng hard to disentangle LyX from MiKTeX and make
it easier to use with TeX Live, which is a LOT more stable.

Riki