On 10/19/18 5:54 AM, list_em...@icloud.com wrote:
When I open a new document, type an equation, and export as PDF (cropped), I
expect to see a PDF file that has zero extra white space around the graphical
portion of the math. Instead, I see an entire page with the equation on the
first line. I.e., no cropping. What am I doing wrong?

LyX 2.3.0

Jerry
When you say "entire page", do you mean a full page in both dimensions? I just tried it, and I got a PDF with a full page (including page number) in the vertical dimension but a width just barely enough to hold the equation.

If you need cropping in both directions, I would suggest using the "standalone" document class. If the equation is inline, that should be sufficient. If the equation is display mode (centered on the page), you can either (a) convert it to inline and switch to display mode for subscripts and superscripts inside the inline equation (then export normally, no cropping required), (b) leave the equation in display mode and add the "preview" class option, then export normally, or (c) do (b) but export cropped. Methods (a) and (c) should produce an equation with minimal whitespace on any side; method (b) will (I think) crop vertically but not horizontally.

Paul